Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Clean Eating?

Hello Everyone,
Hope you are having a very good weekend :) I myself love the Saturday morning sleep ins!!

The topic for today's post is Clean Eating - actually, it is my definition of clean eating. Earlier this year I had my Uncles Wedding. Two weeks prior to the wedding I decided to clean eat. This basically meant I did not touch any foods consisting of high sugars, high fats and artificial additives. It was pretty hard, and like I said, I set the goal for two weeks. 

I made it clear to myself to give up:

  • Chocolate
  • Ice Cream
  • Cake
  • Lollies
  • Sweets
  • Fast Food
  • Pizza
  • High Carb Bread and Pasta
  • Foods High in Calcium (My skin goes spastic when I have too much cheese and milk) 
  • High Sugar Drinks
Basically anything that tastes good - and I stuck to that goal. The breaking point for me was when I had the piece of delicious lemon vanilla cake, which was covered in butter cream and fondant - my all time favourite. I supplemented these fatty foods with fruit and healthier alternatives. If I wanted a late nigh snack, I opted for a cup of tea and a small serving of yoghurt. I felt healthier, stronger and more awake in the mornings instead of down and low on energy.

It has been a few months since then so I allowed myself the time to have the things that I cut out. At the start of this Term of school (2), I decided that it would be my challenge to opt out for the whole 10 weeks! I know, it seemed pretty crazy!! The first week or so was torture, the cravings were horrible and I was in a terrible mood during that time. However, through the end of the 2nd and start of the 3rd week, I no longer felt the cravings OR need to snack on fatty foods. Sure this has received funny looks from family members, when they would be eating cakes and having ice cream whereas I would be content with Green Tea :)

My aim here was not to lose weight, it was more of a challenge to see how long I could last. And I am so happy with my achievements. I am 9 weeks clean going strong!! I feel so much better and healthier compared to before. I know it is good to treat yourself once in a while, but this is a complete test of will power. 

Ever since finding out about my holiday I have decided to extend this clean eating until August 29th (the day I leave the country for the US). I am having so much fun experimenting with new foods and eliminating things that make me feel sick :) Overall I am happier doing this clean eating challenge, and I don't want to change that.

So that is a basic update on what I have been doing eating wise :) Here is a selection of things that are my favourite food/meals at the moment. Have a nice day everyone!!

       
                              Chicken Salad in Pita Bread            Granola with Yoghurt and Apple

                                
                                  Mandarin Salad                              Chicken Noodle Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment